Water is essential to life. This collection provides models of water to help students become familiar with the many properties of water that make it such an important molecule.
With this collection, students can:
- See spontaneous hydrogen bonding
- Compare hydrogen bonds to ionic and covalent bonds
- Make ice crystals
- Dissolve salt (hydration shells)
- Evaporate water (water cycle)
- Compare how ethane and ethanol interact with water (polar – non-polar interactions)
- Explore capillary action
Models in this Collection
- 6 Water Cups
- 12 water molecules
- 1 sodium ion
- 1 chlorine ion
- 1 ethane core with 5 non-magnetic hydrogens
- 1 hydroxyl group
- 1 non-magnetic hydrogen cap with gray post
- 2 3x3x3 NaCl Lattices
- 27 atoms, each with 6 embedded magnets to simulate ionic bonding
Requesting this Model
Loan Time Frame: 3 weeks
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select a date one week prior to the date you want the model to arrive. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
- This loan includes both delivery and return shipping time. Please make sure to plan time (approximately one week) for us to deliver the model to you. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of the requested loan period.
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select the date you want to pick-up the model. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
If a model you are interested in borrowing is not available for your desired time frame, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list the model you would like to borrow and the time frame that would work for the loan. We will place you on a wait list and contact you if we are able to schedule you for a loan.
Requesting Other Models
You may schedule one copy of a model for three weeks. Due to limited resources, we are unable to send multiple copies or additional materials.
If you would like to request a loan of a different model for the same time frame you may add this to your cart. Up to three different types of models may be checked out at one time. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions about the lending process or the availability of models.
Contact Margaret Franzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 277-2824 with questions about the models, teaching resources or educational content.