Students explore the shape and chemical properties of the 20 amino acid sidechains with engaging plastic models. The sidechains feature dual coloring schemes – color on the plastic clip indicates chemical properties, while the individual atoms of the sidechains are colored by atom type. Since understanding protein structure begins with this unique combination of shape and chemical properties of the amino acid sidechains, students will gain a basic knowledge of the laws that determine protein folding.
Protein folding is influenced by several factors, one of which is the chemical properties of the amino acid sidechains. Through this exercise, students will explore the chemical properties that dictate the way a protein will fold. A flexible, foam-covered wire represents the backbone of the peptide to which the plastic sidechains are attached.
Models in this Collection
- 12 Amino Acid Starter Kits
- 1 Chemical Properties Circle with rubber bumpers for each amino acid
- 22 plastic amino acid sidechains (1 of each amino acid, plus 1 additional cysteine and 1 additional histidine)
- 1 four-foot Mini-Toober
- 2 Mini-Toober Endcaps (1 red and 1 blue)
- 6 Hydrogen Bond Connectors
- Amino Acid Sidechain List
Requesting this Model
Loan Time Frame: 3 weeks
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select a date one week prior to the date you want the model to arrive. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
- This loan includes both delivery and return shipping time. Please make sure to plan time (approximately one week) for us to deliver the model to you. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of the requested loan period.
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select the date you want to pick up the model. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
Requesting Other Models
You may schedule one copy of a model for three weeks. Due to limited resources, we are unable to send multiple copies or additional materials.
If you would like to request a loan of a different model for the same time frame you may add this to your cart. Up to three different types of models may be checked out at one time. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions about the lending process or the availability of models.
Contact Margaret Franzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 277-2824 with questions about the models, teaching resources or educational content.