The linear amino acid sequence defines the primary structure of a protein. Regions of the linear polypeptide chain fold into the stable α-helix and β-sheet structures to form the protein secondary structure. The tertiary protein structure is the overall three-dimensional shape of the protein. With this model collection, students can assemble an α-helix or anti-parallel β-sheet, compare the phi-psi angles of the two secondary structures, and explore the contribution of hydrogen bonding to the stability of the structure. Models of the α-helix and β-sheet, with and without side chains, allow comparison of the features of the two secondary structures. Two protein models display tertiary protein structure. The β-globin protein consists predominantly of α-helices while the green fluorescent protein (GFP) consists predominantly of a β-sheet.
Models in the Collection
- α-helix without sidechains
- α-helix with sidechains
- β-sheet without sidechains
- β-globin protein
- Green fluorescent protein (GFP)
- 6 α-Helix β-Sheet Construction Kits
Requesting this Model
Loan Time Frame: 3 weeks
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select a date one week prior to the date you want the model to arrive. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
- This loan includes both delivery and return shipping time. Please make sure to plan time (approximately one week) for us to deliver the model to you. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of the requested loan period.
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select the date you want to pick-up the model. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
If a model is not available for your desired time frame, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list the model you would like to borrow and the time frame that would work for the loan. We will place you on a wait list and contact you if we are able to schedule you for a loan.
Requesting Other Models
You may schedule one copy of a model for three weeks. Due to limited resources, we are unable to loan multiple copies or additional materials.
If you would like to request a loan of a different model for the same time frame you may add this to your cart. Up to three different types of models may be checked out at one time. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions about the lending process or the availability of models.
Contact Margaret Franzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 277-2824 with questions about the models, teaching resources or educational content.