Proteins become real in your students' hands as they fold 3 Mini-Toober β-globin fragments and discover primary, secondary and tertiary structure in this model. Maps guide students in marking the levels of structure onto 3 Mini-Toober fragments before folding each into its 3D shape. These three fragments are then assembled to form the completed structure. Connectors simulating hydrogen bonds help to stabilize the structure, and selected sidechains are added to demonstrate salt bridges, heme binding, and the site of the mutation leading to sickle cell anemia. Oxygen binding at the heme group can also be demonstrated with the completed model.
Models in this Collection
2 Mini-Toober β-Globin Folding Kits
Each kit contains:
- 3 Mini-Toobers
- 3 Mini-Toober β-Globin Folding Maps
- 4 Zip bags with parts for each Mini-Toober
- Heme group and heme connectors
- Iron Atom
- Oxygen Atom
- Metal clips, markers, support posts, and colored dots
- 3 Amino Acid Sidechain Lists
- 3 Wooden dowels
Requesting this Model
Loan Time Frame: 3 weeks
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select a date one week prior to the date you want the model to arrive. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
- This loan includes both delivery and return shipping time. Please make sure to plan time (approximately one week) for us to deliver the model to you. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of the requested loan period.
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select the date you want to pick-up the model. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
Requesting Other Models
You may schedule one copy of a model for three weeks. Due to limited resources, we are unable to send multiple copies or additional materials.
If you would like to request a loan of a different model for the same time frame you may add this to your cart. Up to three different types of models may be checked out at one time. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions about the lending process or the availability of models.
Contact Margaret Franzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 277-2824 with questions about the models, teaching resources or educational content.
Model Documentation and Instructions
Teaching Points and Inventory
Models must be returned on or before the due date. Borrowers are responsible for return shipping costs.
Ship models to:
Milwaukee School of Engineering
1000 N. Market Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202-3113
Please insure the models for the amount indicated in each suitcase. Any damage incurred in return shipping due to improper packing will be charged to the borrower. We recommend using FedEx or UPS with "two-day ground" transportation. Make sure to get a tracking number for the shipment.