Lending Library Update
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the MSOE Model Lending Library has suspended operations. Before reopening, we need to identify safe ways of disinfecting library materials between uses. We hope to have decisions made by mid-July about which materials will be available for loan in the fall.
Students can assemble nucleotides into double stranded DNA then twist it into a double helix. Interlocking foam pieces allow only correct base pairing (A with T and G with C). Backbone pieces emphasize the antiparallel nature of the two strands of DNA. Students can replicate the DNA, creating a replication bubble. Ribose sugar and uracil are also provided so students may model transcription.
Due to the modular nature of this kit, it may be used at a wide range of student ability, from middle school students learning the basics of DNA structure and replication, to college students modeling the removal of a diphosphate from a nucleotide triphosphate as each base is added to the growing nucleotide chain.
Models in this Collection
6 DNA Starter Kits
- 12 red adenine
- 12 blue cytosine
- 12 green guanine
- 12 yellow thymine
- 6 white uracil
- 4 long gray DNA backbone pieces
- 24 gray sugar–phosphate backbone pieces
- 12 purple sugar–phosphate backbone pieces
- 48 orange phosphate pieces
- 48 orange connector pieces
Requesting this Model
Loan Time Frame: 3 weeks
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select a date one week prior to the date you want the model to arrive. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
- This loan includes both delivery and return shipping time. Please make sure to plan time (approximately one week) for us to deliver the model to you. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of the requested loan period.
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select the date you want to pick up the model. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
Requesting Other Models
You may schedule one copy of a model for three weeks. Due to limited resources, we are unable to send multiple copies or additional materials.
If you would like to request a loan of a different model for the same time frame you may add this to your cart. Up to three different types of models may be checked out at one time. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions about the lending process or the availability of models.
Contact Margaret Franzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 277-2824 with questions about the models, teaching resources or educational content.