Lending Library Update
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the MSOE Model Lending Library has suspended operations. Before reopening, we need to identify safe ways of disinfecting library materials between uses. We hope to have decisions made by mid-July about which materials will be available for loan in the fall.
Don't tell your students about membranes and how/why they form – let them discover the spontaneous formation of membranes for themselves using this kit that features the amphipathic structure of phospholipids – with their hydrophilic heads and hydrophobic tails. Your students will explore the chemical structure of a phospholipid and then construct a phospholipid monolayer, a micelle and a bilayer, leading to an understanding of the plasma membrane structure. Additional components of this kit allow students to construct lipid bilayers and consider the role of transport proteins in moving ions and small molecules across membranes.
Models included in this Collection
Each suitcase has 6 sets. Each set contains:
- 2 laminated sheets (water and phospholipid)
- 5 yellow membrane pieces
- 5 gray membrane transport proteins
- 50 mini phospholipids
- 30 small H2O
- 28 Na+
- 28 K+
- 9 large H2O
- 1 bag of:
- 5 glucose molecules
- 1 ATP
- 1 bag of:
- 3 Saturated fatty acid tails
- 2 piece A unsaturated acid fatty tails
- 2 piece B unsaturated acid fatty tails
- 1 phosphatidylinositol head
- 1 glycerol backbone
- 1 phosphatidylcholine head
- 1 phosphatidylserine head
- 1 phosphatidylethanolamine head
Requesting this Model
Loan Time Frame: 3 weeks
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select a date one week prior to the date you want the model to arrive. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
- This loan includes both delivery and return shipping time. Please make sure to plan time (approximately one week) for us to deliver the model to you. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of the requested loan period.
- Use the calendar below to select a three week loan. Available times are shown in green. Select the date you want to pick up the model. After selecting your time period, select checkout and complete the booking details.
Requesting Other Models
You may schedule one copy of a model for three weeks. Due to limited resources, we are unable to send multiple copies or additional materials.
If you would like to request a loan of a different model for the same time frame you may add this to your cart. Up to three different types of models may be checked out at one time. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the lending process or the availability of models.
Contact Margaret Franzen at email@example.com or (414) 277-2824 with questions about the models, teaching resources or educational content.